Teacher Interrupted

"One can always tell it's summer when one sees school teachers hanging about the streets idly, looking like cannibals during a shortage of missionaries." Robertson Davies, Canadian author

Monday, March 05, 2007

KO'd by George Foreman




Erik is lost in perplexity.

"I thought we were just gonna leave that!" he said in bamboozlement.

"We did", I agree, "we left it for a year".

The lovely Erik stops in his tracks, mouth gaping blankly, head a skew, with the words "does not compute" flashing urgently behind his glasses.

I have managed to put off my entire day of school work for 4 hours already, and just as I am moving toward my giant stack of marking, it dawns on me that it is nearing the 1 year anniversary of the BBQ Turkey Burgers...FROM HELL!!! (did I mention they were from Hell???)

So naturally, I decide that the spirit of the evil, demonically possessed BBQ Turkey Burgers FROM HELL must be exorcised from this Burnaby apartment immediately...I set out to clean the George Foreman Grill.

I must really want to procrastinate if cleaning the George Foreman Grill (a task that I have put off for almost an entire YEAR) seems more interesting/important/urgent than my actual work.

Erik shakes himself back to reality, mutters something about 'craziness' under his breath, and walks away.

For all of you who have ever had the pleasure of owning a George Foreman grill (and if you do, I am not talking about the first two months of having it when the teflon was so shiny and uncarcinogenic looking, and chicken kababs just slid right off the fabulous thing, and you diligently only used the specialized bevelled cleaning tool just as specified by the instructions...THAT IS A LIE DIPPED IN A DREAM!!!), I am talking about the, "I really think it's best for all of us if we just throw it away now...I mean, cut our losses and move on, ya know?" that happens at about one year in to owning the damn thing.

For Erik and I, I am specifically referring to the moment when the BBQ Turkey Burgers FROM HELL came into our lives.

Approximately one year later, as my fingernails are torn and blackened from the offending BBQ sauce, I find myself imagining that this must be exactly what it is like to clean Satan's toilet. And somehow, this is better than whatever else it is that I am supposed to be doing right now....oh yeah, school work!

'Well, still better,' I decide.













1 Comments:

Blogger Bethany Pearce said...

People at this cafe are staring at me because I am laughing out load at my computer! If you need a good reason to keep blogging - here it is. YOU MAKE ME LAUGH! I am looking forward to seeing you soon funny girl. :)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home