Teacher Interrupted

"One can always tell it's summer when one sees school teachers hanging about the streets idly, looking like cannibals during a shortage of missionaries." Robertson Davies, Canadian author

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Are Your Pants Full of Shit?

Above: this is the band member with whom the following post concerns most specifically.

I can't believe it was 12 bucks for 2 beers! They were imports yes, but still. The 4 Norwegians take the stage. They are skinny Scenesters. They need a sandwich, I keep hoping someone will throw food at them, for caloric reasons, mostly.

The music is certainly born of true artistry; it splashes the most metro/electro vibes around the club. Funk reigns rythmically through the melodic beats. European sensibility is so Bauhaus. I don't know why that thought percolates through my hypnosis.

Why do I feel like I have to try to like this band so much? I'm not sure.

The lead singer has such an obnoxious hair style. It is so long and in his face, and about ever 2 seconds he belabouredly brushes it aside so he can see what knob he is turning on his synth. Alas, it is simply not greasy enough to stay out of his eyes, and gravity wins. Within miliseconds, the hair swings back into his face. Repeat.

Why do indie bands always seem so high all the time? That annoys me.

After 120 Days finished their crazy rad performance, I saw the bassist on the main floor of the club. Since I knew they were Norwegian, I thought I would speak the only Norwegian phrase that I know (thanks for this one, Dad!) to him. In the darkness of the back of the Richards on Richards, I approached the skinny Norwegian. He looks at me. I lean to his ear and say in Norwegian "Ha hun boxer fulla dreit?", pr some approximation of the phrase, which loosely translates to "Are your pants full of shit?"

The bassist turns his head and looks at me confused.

It was meant to be a joke but the bassist is too strung out to get it and instead of the funny, intercultural exchange that was supposed to occur, the whole moment was awkward and weird. My friend Laura thought it was funny though;)

A few days after the concert, I was having lunch with some friends at Toko (really cool Asian fusion restaurant on Cambie and W.7th), and I was retelling the story to the group when Raffi pipes up about his similar experience with the bassist at the concert.

"I know! I saw that guy selling CDs at the product table cause I guess that's what you do when you are still small time. One time I looked over and he was acting all European and annoying, and then next time I looked over, he literally had his pants down and he was rubbing his butt on some girl's leg. Let's face it, it was weird".

Having said all this, I really enjoyed 120 Days' as an opening act because I'm not gonna lie, they know how to make turning knobs look cool. And those skinny, tight ankle pants? Speechless.

"Are you gay?"

"No, I'm just Scene"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it was yer aksent.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home