Teacher Interrupted

"One can always tell it's summer when one sees school teachers hanging about the streets idly, looking like cannibals during a shortage of missionaries." Robertson Davies, Canadian author

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I don't know how Brazilians are so slim...the food don't stop coming!

More eating
I have never seen Thiago more enthusiastic and rearing to go in the morning than I did this next day. He literally bounced out of bed like an antelope shouting “Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!” Emy had prepared an incredible 5 course breakfast for us. Her food is muito delicioso!!! I can't wait to learn some new recipes and make them when I get back to Vancouver. Then Napoleão drove us to Thiago's friend Demetrius's 2 story penthouse across the street from the beach. It was so amazing and beautiful, I can't believe it. He was really nice and he is hosting a party for Thiago on Thursday.

After visiting with him, he drove us to “Barra Grill”, a churrascaria Brazilian BBQ restaurant. We met Thiago’s other friends Raphael, and Vitor and Bee. We had to wait a long time for the table, but it was really worth the wait. I have never seen so much food in my life. It was like Samba restaurant in Vancouver times a million. The meat was out of this world, and the salad bar featured the most interesting flavours and dishes. I especially liked the salmon in passion fruit sauce and a shreaded crab mixture which Thiago can't remember the name of. Just like my mom advised, I ate just a little piece of everything so I could enjoy the flavours but not overindulge...unlike poor Thiago, who had to get rolled back to the house and was unable to eat anything else for the rest of the day. We had a 3 hour nap to help our digestion, haha, then Thiago's mom made me another delicious dinner, which Thiago couldn't eat, even though she made his favourite chicken wings.
Now we are watching TV and having a quiet evening together. Obama is in Rio, so his activities are all over the news and I think I have his speech to the Brazilian people memorized in both English and Portuguese. Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration, but I could give a decent summary of it, anyway. I am also enjoying my book that Laura chose called, “The Glass Castle”, for our next book club meeting at the end of April. I highly recommend it!

Tomorrow we will get another early start with a lighter breakfast, then go for a long walk (to burn off all those calories we've been consuming here...the food just doesn't stop, and Thiago's mom put so much effort into preparing these marvelous dishes I couldn't bear not to eat them and hurt her feelings). And in the evening we will have Thiago's long awaited oxtail stew. Napoleão will join us and we will give them the photo albums that I had prepared as gifts for his parents.


I will post more pictures from this day once we track down the camera cord that has gone astray...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ai que saudade de churrasco brasileiro!!!!!!!!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home